Labels

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Enchanted Village is Broken


Flickr photo by Abby

Lights Shut Off On Holiday Tradition:
"..this year, with little fanfare, word spread that the Enchanted Village would not be open this season. The city said more than half of the display's parts are broken.

Boston Mayor Tom Menino may have saved this tradition in the past, but this year he's not talking. A spokesperson said that the parts are very old and cannot easily be replaced."
I guess the city spokeperson has not seen Animal House:

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
The first thing I thought about when I heard that the Enchanted Village has broken parts was the creative community.

Let's think outside the box here.

We've got a community of artists, engineers, students, bloggers and more who could come together and put on a show. Call Mickey Rooney. Call Phil Torrone. Call Bre Pettis. Call Ravi Jain. Call Amy Carpenter.

3 comments:

  1. You could fix it, but why? You saw the pix. It's kinda lame!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Jewish, I've been to the Enchanted Village just once (when I first moved to Boston), and even I recognize that you CAN'T SHUT DOWN THE ENCHANTED VILLAGE. We must rally and save this crucial symbol of all that is good and right with the (gentile) world! Huzzah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I`ve emailing Lots of people out there because I Just Literally spent a few years almost singlehandedly Rebuilding from scratch "a SecoND Enchanted Village in Philadelphia!!"
    (same manufacturer but with a colonial theme!) (and saved the museum I did it for literally 100s of 1000`s of $$$ by doing it mostly myself)
    It was broken, melted, had holes, broken mechanics and I resculpted & repainted figures, designed and built new mechanics for it, rebuilt the buildings!

    sorry i`m not trying to be spammy..I just wanted to spread the word a little that
    If ANYBODY on the 'inside' is reading this DOn`T Let AnYbodY THROW ANY MORE PARTS OUT!!!
    I can rebuild anY portion of it even if it`s melted! seriously so if it gets sold or auctioned make sure whoever gets it knows i`m down here and willing!

    Here`s the village..
    http://members.aol.com/robotweb/village.html

    I called the mayors office (sunday though) ..been emailing others ..I talked to someone YeaRS ago and he made it sound like nothing ever breaks in it!! : ( grrr

    chris
    http://www.ChristopherHillman.com
    c40179@aol.com

    ReplyDelete