Labels

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Jesse Cooper Wants 25 cents for College


Jesse Cooper, a 19 year old college student at Middle Tennessee State University has created what he calls a micro-scholarship. He's looking for people to send him 25 cents to help him pay for college.

He contacted me to check out his site, and I gave him a few ideas, which he implemented right away. That's smart. Asking for help from those that have experience implementing blogs.

One thing I asked him to check was PayPal fees, since it seemed to me that he might end up owing PayPal with 25 cent donations and PayPal fees for credit cards, 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD.

It turns out that PayPal has a micropayments option for small payments, 5% + $0.05 per transaction. Now he's using that.

Reminds me of Savekaryn.com who ended up with a book deal.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 PM

    This kid is certainly innovative and creative, even if he does have his hand out. He will work much harder for that quarter than he would digging ditches or washing dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks!! Yes i will... and even harder than digging dishes or washing ditches! dyslexic... maybe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:07 PM

    I, personally, think this kid should get a job and pay for his own education. He's already received student loans. Why should we be paying them off? I know students working 2 and 3 jobs to pay their own way. I think he's lazy and looking for a handout. His student loans don't even come due until AFTER he graduates. He's a 19 year old kid with student loan debt - BIG DEAL! Get a job and pay it off! Besides, how do we know this "teen" is REALLY using the money to pay off his loans OR start a scholarship for someone else - as he claims. I tried posting on his blog, but he edited my comments as if I was all "for him." Hmmmm, something to hide perhaps? Someone needs to show this kid how to be a man, get a job (or 2) and pay his own debts!

    ReplyDelete