Labels

Friday, November 21, 2008

Amazon Universal Wishlist allows you to add Charities



Last year at this time I asked for a way to add charaties to my Amazon.com wishlist.

Now you can with Amazon Universal Wishlist:
It's easy! Simply add the Universal Wish List button to your browser, and start shopping. When you see something you'd like on any website, just click the Add to Universal Wish List button, and the item will appear on your Amazon Wish List.
Take a look at my wishlist and you'll see all the charities I've added there.

My Amazon.com Wish List

Here's are some of my favorite charities I added to Amazon.com:
Oxfam
Amnesty International
Doctors without Borders
The Sharing Foundation

The Jimmy Fund
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Lupus Foundation of America
AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Research

Creative Commons
Electronic Frontier Foundation

Institute of Contemporary Art - Boston
Photographic Resource Center at Boston University
There still are a few regular items for those that feel the need to give gifts. ;-)

Other sites:

ChangingThePresent


Buy Nothing Day

Charity Navigator, America's premier independent charity evaluator.

Have a favorite charity? An alternative idea for gift giving this year?

Leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve

    Great post and great list of charities. It's nice to see Amazon opening up the wishlist function to items they don't sell, although I'm a little freaked out by whatever scripting they're running in my browser. I could see creative people using this to add links to their blogs or other non-commerce things into their wish lists. Maybe people who already have everything just want comments on their blogs.

    Taking the charity donations instead of holiday gifts a step farther, you might check out firstgiving.com (disclosure, I work there) where people create fundraising pages for their favorite charities and ask their friends to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out! Not that anyone has ever bought me ANYTHING on my wishlist, I have now added links to some of my favorite causes!

    See My wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherie,

    You've got an interesting wish list. I never look at other people's wish lists...

    Nice Bush last day t-shirt.
    --Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, thanks for having Dana Farber on you list. They have been saving my life for the last two years. I'll even be back there on December 1st.

    Now I need to go update my amazon wish list. Like Cherie, no one buys stuff off my list, but adding charities is an interesting way to share a bit about your personality beyond what books you read and music you listen too.

    Now if they could figure out how to put MP3 downloads into the wish list, that would rock!

    ReplyDelete