Labels

Friday, June 11, 2010

Upgrading a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G to a Netgear WNR1000v2 Wireless-N on Comcast

I just upgraded my Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router to a Netgear WNR1000v2 Wireless-N router on Comcast.

The Netgear WNR1000v2 Wireless-N router is free for Comcast customers who currently lease a High-Speed Internet modem or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. All you have to do is pay for shipping.

Check this page, Get online anywhere in your home, with a wireless router from Comcast, to see if it's available in your area and if you qualify. Router availability varies by area.

Netgear WNR1000 Wireless-N Router

I was concerned about making the swap, but in the Netgear configuration mode I just put in my existing network name and password, and everything still works. :-)

I'm starting to test out the new speeds and here's the speed from my laptop that's directly connected to the new router via Ethernet cable.

Here are the new speeds:



Insane!

Compare these new speeds to the old speeds:



And I haven't even tested wireless speeds yet.

Update:
Unplugged the direct cable and turned on Airport WiFi.



Need to check that I have Wireless-N in this MacBook. How do I do that?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any wireless-N computers. Tried the Tenda W311U USB Wireless-N. Rated for 150 speeds like the Netgear WNR1000v2 Wireless-N router produces. Rarely though did it ever hit speeds of 150Mbps on any of my laptops. Usually averaged around 135Mbps. Even worse though is that is OFTEN spent alot of time at 1Mbps-13.5Mbps. I tried uninstall-reinstall, made sure I installed the current drivers, but it is going back today. On to try a different USB Wireless-N adapter.

    ReplyDelete