Labels

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Re-Wired : Vodcast Simple

Jim Feeley suggests ways to make your own viral hit in his Wired article, Wired 14.05: Lights! Camera! Vodcast!. In his section on shooting, he suggests some of the following:
Choose your weapon: For Internet video, use a miniDV cam that captures 720 x 480-pixel footage.

Record clear audio: The built-in mike on your videocam is too far from the action.

Keep it steady: If you have to shoot handheld, lean against a wall or tree to stabilize yourself.

Film multiple takes: Rehearse, rewrite, and redo. Shoot each scene several times and from different angles.

Edit edit edit: Use free programs like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to splice the best takes into a final video."
Well, you could do it that way, or you could do it this way. (My Suggestions):
Choose your weapon: Use a regular still camera that also shoots video at 320x240.

Record clear audio: Hold the camera close to your subject so that the inbuilt camera catches the audio cleanly.

Keep it steady: When shooting handheld, just keep your hand steady.

Film one take: Shoot one take of a moment that you want to capture.

Don't Edit: Post what you've just shot as it is. Capturing fleeting moments that would have otherwise been lost is a treasure.
Get out there and have fun and don't worry about being the next Steven Speilberg.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's much better Steve!

    They just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve.
    I feel much better about my vlog, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew...and all this time I thought I was doing it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jumping on the bandwagon blind is how I see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right Jan.

    If you have to "Rehearse, rewrite, and redo. Shoot each scene several times and from different angles", there's no spontenaity. Following directions like that sounds like you're shooting a major motion picture. Hang on while I rehearse eating my lunch. Now after I take a bite, do you want me to say, "Yummy" or does "I like this" sound more natural? Which way should I be facing? Can we get some makeup in here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I would rather see a poorly lit, shaky, hard to hear, low resolution video of a real moment than a "properly" done clip of a dry, over-rehearsed, and completely fake moment. If I wanted that I would just turn on my tv.

    ReplyDelete