Labels

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Coding Horror: Thirteen Blog Clichés

OMG!!! Eric Rice points us to - Coding Horror: Thirteen Blog Clichés

After reading it, I removed these ads from my sidebar:

Netflix, Inc.MacBook_17in-180x150


I'm on a ad removing mission prompted in part by the above post, discussions on the Yahoo! videoblogging list about personal blogs being commercial or non-commercial, and a general feeling that I want to remove clutter.

How do you feel about it?





Are you a blogger? Do you have ads on your site? Does that make your site commercial?

Are you a blog reader? Do you even look at ads on blogs?

I want to hear what you think.

I removed this too.

I liked it, but never used it.

Flight Status
By Flight or Route
examples: AA 123 or JFK to LHR
Don't Know the Code?

3 comments:

  1. Steve, I have an ad free blog and one of these days, I'll even put the little ad free button on my blog.

    I don't follow ads.
    I do think they are "commercial".

    I understand "free" services require them but there I have a choice: click to follow through or not. As long as I can use without click through, I am okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is basically ad free, but there is some clutter. With del.icio.us widgets, technorati, a clock, flickr badge, even the latest 25 comments. But no ads though I don't have problem with ads if they make me some money, but I'm not going in that direction yet. If there were ads on other blogs it's unlikely that I would click on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:39 PM

    I'd also suggest periodically checking the links on your sidebar. Safari couldn't find the server for "Humor in the News," and "Site du Jour of the Day" doesn't appear to have been updated in four years.

    ReplyDelete