Labels

Monday, August 27, 2007

In Retrospect I am Backing up my MacBook Pro

Thanks for all the great feedback on what type of hard drive I should get to back up my MacBook Pro.

I went in to the Apple store in Chestnut Hill Mall to grab a LaCie Rugged Firewire 800, thinking that I'd be using SuperDuper to backup.

Firewire seems to be a better choice since it's faster than USB and you can book off of it.

The Apple Store didn't have the Rugged drive, but it did have a 250 GB Western Digital MyBook drive with a triple interface for $159. That seemed like a fair price.

The MyBook drive also comes with EMC Retrospect Express software which is made to both backup and restore your entire system. That's exactly what I need to do.

Any suggestions before I start?

My MacBook Pro has a 120 GB drive in it so I think I'll be able to partition the MyBook into a 120 GB and a 130 GB leaving one partition for backup and the other for regular storage. Sound good?

4 comments:

  1. SuperDuper! is a great app. I have never used it with Windows Home Server.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are all ready! I'm not sure how good Retrospect is, but I know SuperDuper! works great!

    I personally keep my clone drive separate from any day to day uses because I want to make sure it is in tip top shape if I ever need to use it. It is twice as big as my internal, but it is worth it to me to make sure the drive is in good condition.

    Data loss is not an option with me, backup backup backup then backup again. Then send your backups off site to make sure disaster will not wipe out all of your work or any of your clients work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's going to back up your data storage partition? ;-)

    It never ends.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll like Retrospect and the My Book drive.

    It is not necessary to partition the My Book; if you just create a folder for the Retrospect Backup Set to go into, the Backup Set will dynamically size properly, and leave the rest of the drive space free for other uses. Also, eventually, that drive will fill up, since Retrospect backs up the first "blob" (of whatever you choose to backup, hopefully the whole drive); then incrementally adds to it until the drive is full.

    When it is full, you can put it aside (perhaps offsite) and get a new drive; then cycle between the drives; or you can erase it and start over again.

    Personally, I would leave the My Book as being only for backup, and not for dual use as backup and regular storage - unless that storage is non-critical; not needing its _own_ backup.

    ReplyDelete