Here are my notes for a presentation I'm making today, at UMass/Boston, to Nettrice Gaskin's Media Literacy 101 class.
We are the media - the revolution will be televised - Gabe McIntyre's intro to RSS and Vlogging.
We Are the Media - a blog on vlogging.
Why is vlogging different than just video on the web?
It's the powerful combination of blogging with video creation and distribution.
Syndication - RSS 2.0 with enclosures changes everything.
How to add an RSS 2.0 Feed to your Blogger blog.
Video Aggregators - iTunes, FireAnt
Comments and conversations change media from being a passive experience.
Community - Videoblogging.info
Where to go to find vlogs
How to find vlogs.
Another list of places to find vlogs.
Vlog Soup - A video tour through the vlogosphere.
Types of Vlogs
Blogs are for friends, families and the world.
- Steve Garfield's Video Blog
- Josh Leo's Vlog
News, Citizen Journalism, Personal Media Sites
- Minnesota Stories
- Evolvetv.tv - Solutions emerge from our judicious study of discernible reality.
News, Citizen Journalism, Personal Media Examples
- Song for Cindy Sheehan.
- Army's Birthday.
- Nightline visits berkman Blogger Meeting.
- How I would have edited the Nightline segment.
- 150 Feet.
- John Tobin, John Edwards.
How to make a vlog
How to Promote Your Vlog.
Distribution - The democratization of media
- Akimbo - BBC, CNN, Steve Garfield
- DTV - Your own TV station on the internet
Update 3:30 PM:
Here's that video I shot this morning.
View this clip over at Vimeo.com
How I got the video from my camera to the web:
1. I copied the video from my Canon S400 onto my Mac.
2. I had three videos, so I combined them using QuickTime Pro.
3. Then I exported then as QuickTime using the 3ivx codec.
4. Went to vimeo.com and uploaded
5. Grabbed a screen shot of the video
6. Uploaded that to my .Mac account
7. Edited this post to include the image with a link to the video
Note: Steps 5 and 6 are optional since vimeo generates code that allows you to embed a video directly in a web page, but that code makes the video load right away and I don't like to do that, prefering to only load the video when you click on it.