Labels

Monday, May 07, 2007

Fun, fulfillment, and friends

Jason Feifer and Me
I'm in the NY Times today - "A Boston Newspaper Prints What the Local Bloggers Write."

What's ironic is that after a 30 minute interview with the reporter, the quote they chose to use, is now out of context.
John Wilpers, editor in chief of BostonNow, a free weekday daily introduced last month, said he wanted to fill the paper with items that local bloggers submitted to the BostonNow Web site... Also appealing to bloggers is that they retain ownership of their submissions even after printing. They have not, however, received money from the paper for their work.

Last week, BostonNow ran a post and photograph by Steve Garfield, who has been blogging for a decade, now at stevegarfield.com. He said cash payments would be nice, but he planned to contribute even if that did not happen. “The whole thing I do in blogging is to get seen, get visibility,” he said.
That quote answers the question of how do you make money by blogging for free. It's an answer I often give that says my blog ends up being a promotional vehicle for my consulting and video production business.

It IS NOT the main reason for my blogging.

I blog for fun, fulfillment, and friends. Friends I have, and friends I haven't met yet.

The visibility comes as a byproduct of doing what I love.

It would be nice if reporters would let interviewees proofread articles. I have had reporters let me do a technical edit on a piece, but when I ask if I can review a story before they publish, they usually can't do that.

It would also be nice if the NY Times had an area for comments... They don't.

In the end, BostonNOW is a step in the right direction. They let bloggers write articles and submit photos AND they allow comments on every story.

Let's see the NY Times and Boston Globe allow that!

My BostonNOW Post - BostonNOW is ours.

My BostonNOW photo - Lindsay and Goose.

6 comments:

  1. hey steve, i disagree about letting interview subjects proof-read stories before they run. i do support technical proofs and verification of quotes, but the story needs to be written by that journalist.

    we'd open a big can of mess if we allowed interviewees to proofread the final article. Anyone presented in an unflattering light could kill a story.

    I'm thinking especially of stories which challenge powerful political or business interests as well as investigative pieces where the journalist is revealing a truth only s/he knows by virtue of talking to many.

    I do agree about post-publication commenting though. open the gates, ye NY times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was allowed to do a technical proof of a story once, and then when it was published, the reporter inserted in what I thought were unflattering comments. The final article was different thatn the one I proofed, but it was technically accurate.

    How could the subject of an unflattering article kill a story?

    They could send back comments, and then the reporter could choose to either use or ignore them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article Steve. I can't believe that they put a link to your website in the article. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right Dave.

    They put a link to my website int eh article.

    That rules!

    I'll be watching the traffic today to see what the results are of having a link in the NY TImes.

    I was recently discussing this with a client and said that certain social media links might be more valuable then getting written up in the NY Times.

    Let's see how many links I get today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I wish BostonNOW would do is basically pull RSS feeds off of our blogs so that there wouldn't be a need to repost on their site. Most bloggers have limited times with real world jobs to do things like that. A simple RSS feed for them to peruse our great words would be fine by me.

    They used a blog post I did on Randy Moss last week. No spikes in readership (due to the fact the "blog notes" were about the size of a postage stamp in the lower corner of the section). I'm sure if they highlighted it like yours in last week's newspaper then all of us would see the benefit of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of curiousity, how *has* BostonNOW improved your visibility? Have you seen any noticeable uptick in your hitcount since you started appearing there?

    [I'm still trying to decide whether to submit posts to them; their TOC is somewhat scary. Have they considered just using a Creative Commons license?]

    ReplyDelete