Labels

Monday, May 07, 2007

White Castle Theremin Video

This is a really interesting article in today's Boston Globe about Jon Bernhardt and his theremin, The geek who captured the Castle:
"When advertising executives saw a video of Boston theremin player Jon Bernhardt performing the old Buggles song ‘‘Video Killed the Radio Star’’ on YouTube, the MIT math grad was headhunted for the White Castle fast-food chain’s new advertising campaign."
The problem, once again, is that the Boston Globe does not provide links to the video that's the main part of the story.

No links in the paper and no links online.

I'll provide the links to the theremin videos I found on YouTube here: Theremin 1, Theremin 2.

I also found Theremin Killed the Radio Star, the video that got White Castle interested in the first place. This video rocks!

A quick Google search leads us to Christopher Lydon's Open Source blog post, White Castle Thereminist Speaks, which has a link to the video and a link to Jon Bernhardt's blog.

The irony here is that Christopher Lydon's blog is for a radio show, and he has video!

How many times do I have to blog about this?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Your comments about the woeful lack of video to accompany the theremin story in today's Globe were totally spot on. There has been a hole in the Living/Arts multimedia presence since the talented Josh Glenn switched back to full-time freelance writing at the beginning of 07. That should change sometime next month; I'm stepping into that spot as assistant editor for the Web. You'll see much more linkage between the Globe's print content and the Web content. We have a much bigger sandbox to play in, and we intend to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have complained about the Globe's lack of links, most recently at:
    http://changingway.org/2007/04/23/globe-like-blogosphere-but/
    It's good to see a response from someone at the Globe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,

    I thought you might like to know that Jon Bernhardt will be one of the featured speakers/performers at Hands Off 2007 - The UK Theremin Symposium.

    More info at http://theremin.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have known - it's all Josh Glenn's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve. Your comment to my blog was tagged as spam; I only just rescued it.

    The Globe did in fact link to the youtube video. If you look at the on-line article, you'll see the "related links" thingie in the middle. In the print article, there was a note to go to boston.com/ae to see my video. That day (Monday), they had a link to the video right from the ae front page.

    Could they have done more? Absolutely! I wish they'd linked to my blog (in which I recount the entire White Castle Saga) and to the "theremin killed the radio star" video that got me the gig (which you kindly linked to in your post).

    Anyway, thanks for the linkage. This whole experience has been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jon,
    You're right! I see it now.

    Looking at it now, after you pointed this out to me, I can see why I missed it.

    It's not an inline link in the article, where you can click on words and you can follow a link, it's separated out, like a banner ad. My eye must have skipped right over it, thinking it was an ad.

    And this is from someone who was LOOKING for the VIDEO...

    I hope they adopt standard linking practices when they spend more attention to this...

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (Rolex) are cheap, (World of Warcraft gold) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (wow gold) are cheap, (wow power leveling) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (wow gold) are cheap, (wow power leveling) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!

    ReplyDelete