Labels

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

CBS Teases Mac Users


CBS to air primetime shows online:
"CBS Corp. on Tuesday said it plans to air prime time television programs, including its top-rated CSI series and 'Survivor' show, on the Internet for free.

The shows will include 'limited commercial interruption' and be made available on its high speed Internet channel innertube the morning after it airs on the CBS broadcast network, the company said."
This is great. Yes, it's old media putting TV shows on the internet, but that's what I've been looking for , for years. A way to have on demand access to TV shows I might have missed.

With DVR's like TiVo, you've got to subscribe to those shows you want to watch. I've been keeping my subscriptions to a manageable level so I can 'get through' all the shows in my TiVo inbox. ;-)

What CBS is doing is giving me another way to watch their content. Good for them.

There are a couple of problems with the CBS site innertube though.

It seems to be a streaming only solution, which means that I have to be connected to watch.


The other problem is that although innertube comes up on my Mac, the area where the show is supposed to play is an empty white space.

Some might say I'm not missing much, but I'd still like to have the option to watch.

If you have a Mac can you try it out and let me know if you get the same problem?
via [ Valleywag ]

8 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, If you have not done so already, see my comment on Amanda Unboomed about getting those CBC videos to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate,
    Thanks.

    I tried again and now it comes up that I don't have a plug in installed.

    On both Firefox and Safari.

    I click to install the plugin, and the install fails with a message that I have to manually install the plugin.

    Which plugin it is, they don't say. There is no info on the site about Mac support.

    I assume it's Realplayer, which I already have installed, so I am at a loss and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange... I presume that you have run the RealPlayer app itself and let it set up your browsers?
    Do you have the latest version of Realplayer? listed as Version 10.1.0 (412) on mine?

    If you're not bothered then no worries, I'll give up too ;-) As you know there is a lot more interesting content available without having to jump through such hoops :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ran Realplayer and it asked me to install...

    Hmm.

    Let's go over to CBS and see waht happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that worked.

    Now I can see an ad for BenGay that I can't pause.

    The video is now playing with an annoying black flash every 2 seconds.

    I'm not enjoying the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did say it played badly :-)

    I assumed it was because I don't have a G5. My screen was flashing worse in FIrefox I think.

    Us foreigners can only see the trailers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:33 PM

    late to the party, but here's what worked for me on Pc (where I got video but no sound) and Macs (where I initially got a whole lot '0 nothin'): I ran the RealPlayer app and used its browser to get to the CBS pages, ran innertube from the realplayer browser, and got sound and video. I was able to watch 2 complete shows that I'd missed. YAY.
    10/3/06

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I ran Realplayer and was able to watch everything, but it has a flickering black frame that makes it look like I'm watching an old time silent movie.

    I wonder why that is, and if you get that on a PC too.

    ReplyDelete